Main Structural Elements of a Dissertation Introduction and Specificity of Their Writing
Completing a dissertation is the final stage of higher education. This work’s defense is evidence that the young person is graduating as a student and has the appropriate qualifications. Therefore, the completion and defense of a paper are very important for future specialists.
The aim of this type of paper:
- Systematization, consolidation, and expansion of knowledge and creative abilities acquired during training, application of this knowledge in solving specific tasks;
- Acquisition of qualities for future specialists in scientific and professional activities;
- Formation of skills and abilities for self-education and self-development, independent research work in the future professional activity, development of innovative proposals and recommendations for their implementation;
- Gaining experience in writing and design of scientific results that provide grounds for public defense, and later to independent work in the specialty.
The paper should be performed on a relevant topic (for example: “What role does climate play in human life and activities?”, etc.), with a deep justification and understanding of the problem using modern research methods. In addition, it must be comprehensive and its theme – to meet the promising areas of research.
When completing this paper, the student must be able to:
- Analyze, systematize and process scientific, educational, and methodical literature of domestic and foreign sources on the subject of work;
- Address to statistical information, regulations;
- Correctly apply the theoretical provisions of academic disciplines in the formulation and solution of specific problems;
- Be able to clearly and logically formulate own thoughts, conclusions, and suggestions.
The topic reflects the specific tasks of the department, but it must meet the following general requirements: to agree on its content with the defined task, to provide, consolidate and expand received knowledge in the specialty; to promote the application of the acquired knowledge during the study of relevant courses for solving specific problems; to help determine the level of readiness of the student for independent work.
From the creative idea to the final design of the work, the course of scientific research is quite individual. However, it is possible to identify typical stages and determine the general methodological approaches to its implementation, which reflect the course and sequence of the dissertation process:
- Choice of a topic, justification of its relevance.
- Formulation of the purpose.
- Statement of tasks.
- Definition of the object and subject of research.
- Drawing up a plan.
- Search for scientific information and its analysis.
- The choice of methods (techniques) of the study.
- Description of the research process.
- Formulation of conclusions and evaluation of the obtained results.
- Publication and testing of obtained results.
- Creating the main text.
- Preparation of the abstract.
- Preliminary consideration of the obtained results.
- Preparation for defense and defense of the work.
Writing a dissertation introduction is considered very important because it covers several of the above stages. In this overview, we will focus on the features of creating the introductory chapter in more detail.
Do you need an original paper?
Approach our writing company and get top-quality work written from scratch strictly on time!
General Peculiarities of Writing a Dissertation Introduction
The chief task of writing a dissertation introduction consists of a general description of the work as relevant research. In the introduction dissertation, it is necessary to reveal:
- The essence of a scientific problem, urgency, and practical significance of the chosen topic;
- Aim and tasks of the study;
- Peculiarities of achieving the set goal and fulfilling tasks related to specific conditions;
- Object and subject of research;
- List of methods that are planned to be used in the study;
- General characteristics of information support of the study (with emphasis on non-traditional information sources);
- Info on the use of information technology, standard and author’s software;
- Info about the elements of scientific novelty and practical significance (approbation) of results.
Thus, the dissertation introduction outline reveals the essence and state of the problem and its significance, the grounds and initial data for the development of the topic, the justification of the need for research.
Dissertation Introduction Writing: Structural Components
The dissertation introduction writing usually includes several mandatory elements, each of which is discussed in the following paragraphs.
Actuality of Topic
The actuality of the topic is the degree of its importance for theory and practice in modern conditions in solving specific problems within the object and subject of research.
In relation to the considered type of paper, the presentation of the concept of ‘actuality’ should be aimed at the timeliness and social importance of solving the chosen problem. Through the help of analysis and comparison, the relevance and expediency of work for the development of science are substantiated. It is enough to express the main thing in a few sentences – the essence of the problem or scientific task, from which the actuality of the topic will follow.
Purpose and Objectives of the Study
You should logically move from proving the relevance of research to the formulation of its purpose. The purpose is closely intertwined with the topic and should clearly indicate what scientific preconditions it is based, and how it is achieved (with the involvement of which scientific hypotheses, ideas, phenomena, laws, etc.). Formulation of the goal is a very important stage because it determines the tasks of the researcher: what will be studied, substantiated, analyzed, developed, and argued in work. The specificity of the goal can serve as a basis for determining the title of sections, individual issues, etc.
The objectives of the study are a series of interdependent steps to ensure the achievement of the goal, which represent specific, consistent ways to solve the problem. They are established in the form of enumeration (consider…, describe…, justify…, establish…, evaluate…, find out…, investigate…, determine …, develop a model…, offer…, etc.). In order to create a good paper, it is necessary to solve problems, the number and content of which are determined by the purpose of the study. The logic of setting tasks (within the general structure of a paper) can be as follows:
- The first block of tasks is connected with the characteristic of the essence of a subject of research, with revealing of the essence of a problem, the theoretical substantiation of ways of its decision;
- The second block of tasks has a theoretical and methodological nature and is aimed at disclosing general ways to solve the problem, to analyze the conditions for its solution;
- The third block of tasks has a recommendatory, applied nature, indicates the specific means of implementing the theoretical model of research, and provides a description of specific methods and practical recommendations.
The formulation of tasks should be clear and precise because the description of their solution constitutes the main sections’ content.
Object and Subject of Research
An object is a process or phenomenon that creates a problem situation and is chosen for the study. A subject is something that is contained within an object. The author’s main attention is directed to the subject since it defines a topic that is taken out on a title page as the title.
A very important stage of scientific work is the choice of methods – a tool for obtaining factual material and a necessary condition for achieving the goal set in the work, which covers the methodology and techniques of research using logical laws and rules. The ability to choose the most effective methods allows achieving the goals set in the work. For each stage of the study, a set of methods is selected to ensure a complete and correct solution to the tasks, provide reliable results, and correspond to the study’s logical structure.
The methods should not be named in isolation from the content of the work but briefly and meaningfully defining what exactly was investigated using a particular method. This will make sure the logic and acceptability of the choice of these methods. A special place among the research methods is occupied by the methods of studying information sources, which is a means of studying the history and causes of the problem, its current state.
Information Base of the Research
A list of materials used to write the work is provided here. These are laws, official materials of the State Statistics Committee, operative information of ministries and departments, periodicals, domestic and foreign scientists’ publications on the problem, information resources of the world computer information network Internet, etc.
Scientific Novelty of the Obtained Results
A brief annotation of scientific statements (decisions), which is proposed by the author personally, is mentioned here. In order to describe the degree of novelty, it is necessary to show the difference between the results obtained from previously known. The scientific result (a creative product of one of the questions of work) is formulated briefly, clearly, and concretely, without general words and terms.
Information On the Approbation of the Research Results
The information on the approbation of the obtained results may contain a list of conferences at which the research results were conducted and discussed, indicating the title of the report, place and time of the conferences; a list of abstracts and articles that have been prepared, with full information about their publication (bibliographic description), etc.
At the end of the chapter, it is advisable to submit the structure of work, i.e., provide a list of its structural elements and justify the sequence of their placement. The volume of this section should not exceed 2 pages.
When It Is Advisable to Get Dissertation Introduction Help?
As you can see, the process of creating the introductory part is quite complex, and the student often needs help in creating this part of a paper. Here are the situations in which it is recommended to get dissertation introduction help:
- If the student does not have time to write a paper, but the terms of its delivery are very short;
- The applicant does not know how to write a good introductory chapter, how to properly design all the structural parts, how to make this section memorable;
- The student has temporary health problems that prevent him from completing the assignment;
- There are difficulties in defining the purpose or tasks, as well as the object and subject of research;
- There are many assignments from the teacher, and it is difficult to cope with all at once.
You need to understand that this is just a rough list of situations that can arise in student life and force young people to seek help. But online assistance is provided by professionals regardless of the situation. Anyone can get it when it is necessary.
How to Buy Dissertation Introduction Online and Get Benefits?
Rest assured that it is very easy to buy dissertation introduction. You should fill out the order form on the website and enlist the support of writers. All your requirements about dissertation introduction structure will be met clearly and consistently. Delivery deadlines will be met.
Here is a list of the benefits you are guaranteed to get from cooperating with professional writers:
- The ability to choose the best assistant;
- Reasonable prices and favorable discounts;
- Quality papers with a high percentage of uniqueness;
- Full adherence to the specified requirements;
- 24-hour assistance;
- Money-back guarantee upon request;
- Free revisions upon request, etc.
What Does a Good Dissertation Introduction Look Like?
Whether you write a paper independently or order it from experienced experts, you must understand that a good dissertation introduction usually has certain characteristics. It seems appropriate to list below the distinctive features of a dissertation introduction chapter:
- Show the relevance of the chosen topic, its significance, clearly define the research aim;
- In accordance with the goal, specific tasks should be formulated, the solution of which ensures its achievement;
- Meet certain requirements for the style of presentation of the material;
- The wording of the purpose, tasks, object, and subject should be clear, concise, and at the same time most fully reflect the essence of the issues under consideration;
- The material should be presented in a simple scientific style, should not contain repetitions, and should not be overloaded with quotations;
- Simple rewriting of literary sources, citations without reference is not allowed;
- Masters dissertation introduction usually has a small volume (2-3 pages).
Undergraduate Dissertation Introduction Design
The neat design is a mandatory requirement for the completion of undergraduate dissertation introduction. The pages are numbered in order. There are margins on each page: 2.5 cm on the left, 1 cm on the right, 2 cm on the top and bottom.
After the final editing of the draft material’s text, it is necessary to eliminate stylistic inaccuracies, spelling, and grammatical errors, to exclude repetition, unnecessary words, and dubious arguments.
Dissertation Proposal Introduction for Different Types of Papers
Writing a dissertation proposal introduction for different types of paper has its own characteristics. For example, the history dissertation introduction will undoubtedly differ from the English literature dissertation introduction or psychology dissertation introduction, but the basic structural parts will remain the same. If you follow the guidelines outlined here, you will definitely create a good introduction for dissertation.
The material provided in this overview can be considered as a guide to writing. Go through the step-by-step and surprise the teacher with your original introductory chapter! But if you encounter difficulties, you can contact us at any time. High-quality and reliable support is guaranteed to everyone!